- General Info
- Junior English 3
- Senior English 4
- About Instructor
Instructor: Jason Greco
Expected School-wide Learning Results:
21st CENTURY SKILLS
To prepare students to live, learn, and work successfully in today's knowledge-based digital society, our emphasis at Freestyle will be on developing:
- Visual Literacy - the ability to interpret, use, appreciate, and create images and video using both conventional and 21st century media in ways that advance thinking, decision making, communication, and learning.
- Technological Literacy - knowledge about what technology is, how it works, what purposes it can serve, and how it can be used efficiently and effectively to achieve specific goals.
- Creativity - the act of bringing something into existence that is genuinely new, original, and of value either personally (of significance only to the individual or organization) or culturally (adds significantly to a domain of culture as recognized by experts).
- Self Direction - the ability to set goals related to learning, plan for the achievement of those goals, independently manage time and effort, and independently assess the quality of learning and any products that result from the learning experience.
- High Productivity - the ability to produce intellectual, informational, or material products that serve authentic purposes and occur as a result of students using real-world tools to solve or communicate about real-world problems. These products include persuasive communications in any media (print, video, the Web, verbal presentation), synthesis of resources into more useable forms (databases, graphics, simulations), or refinement of questions that build upon what is known to advance one's own and others' understanding.
- Teaming and Collaboration - cooperative interaction between two or more individuals working together to solve problems, create novel products, or learn and master content.
- Social and Civic Responsibility - the ability to manage technology and govern its use in a way that promotes public good and protects society, the environment, and democratic ideals.
- Risk Taking - the willingness to make mistakes, advocate unconventional or unpopular positions, or tackle extremely challenging problems without obvious solutions, such that one's personal growth, integrity, or accomplishments are enhanced.
What Is Expected From The Student
Assessment and Grading:
Quarter grades will be determined on the basis of performance on projects and classwork. Each area of evaluation will be weighted as follows:
- Minor Pre-Production Assignments = 30%
- Major Production/Project assignments = 70%
*Please note: Only semester grades appear on transcripts.
Grades will be assigned on the basis of the following percentages:
- A 90 to 100%
- B 80 to 89%
- C 70 to 79%
- D 60 to 69%
- F below 60%
Grade Book Update Policy:
Grades may be viewed 24/7 through individual online accounts on https://jupitergrades.com/login/?10334 and will be updated every two weeks or so. Students/Parents will receive grade-viewing info by email.
Daily assignments are determined by tasks needed to achieve project goals. Students are responsible to check assigned tasks on the online daily agenda and end goals and work toward achieving those tasks and goals.
Attendance at Freestyle is required of students from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM or 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM. Note: Students may receive a failing grade "F" in a class where they accumulate 15 or more unexcused absences.
Late Work/Make Up Work
TBA - Absent students are allotted the same number of absent class days to complete assignments. If a student is absent for extended periods of time, it is the student's responsibility to consult with instructor for make-up work.
Because of the various expensive equipment provided for each student, no eating, drinking and chewing gum will be strictly enforced. Students not in their seats when class begins will receive a tardy. Cheating on any assignment or evaluation will not be tolerated. Any student caught cheating will be given a zero for the item and will be subject to further disciplinary action.
Office hours: 3-5 PM everyday or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Lab hours throughout the year will be posted online and announced in class.
Lots of information is on the other tabs at the top of the page.
Length: 1 year
Credits: 10 Units
In this college preparatory, UC approved English course, students will examine a variety of personal and social issues to inform their multimedia projects. In addition to developing research and writing skills through persuasive essays, research papers, creative stories, and poetry, students will also learn to become strong presenters, project managers, collaborative workers, and creative problem solvers.
Length: 1 year
Credits: 10 Units
English 4 is a college-preparatory senior English class. In this course, students develop expository, creative and reflective writing, critical reading and thinking and public speaking skills as well as learning the fundamentals of English mechanics and grammar. In class discussions developing skills in Shared Inquiry will be an essential component of the class.
A graduate of Los Altos High School ('99), Jason Greco returns to MVLA after a twelve-year educational odyssey. He is an AP Reader whose teaching experience includes four years at Nipomo High School, where he taught AP Literature and Composition and English 11. While he was working on his M.A. in English and teaching credential at Cal Poly, S.L.O., he instructed several sections of freshman composition, implemented a class in visual rhetoric and media literacy, and student-taught the senior elective "Literature of the War in Vietnam" at Arroyo Grande High School. Mr. Greco is also a proud Banana Slug who earned his B.A. in Literature in 2003. Inspired by Ms. Kefauver's Film Analysis class at LAHS, he took many film classes at UC Santa Cruz, co-founded the film production club at NHS and coordinated the high school's annual film festival. Naturally, he is thrilled to experience everything he loves about education at an entirely new level at Freestyle.